I dont have a tumblr & your askbox doesnt allow anon so im submitting it through here. I hope you dont mind; I really love your blog!
it was a simple shop but honestly I think Korra looks more like herself when she has darker hair and skin; I barely recognized her in yr submission
also people seem to have trouble w/ lighting. Here ( http://i.imgur.com/iiaYA.jpg ) is a tut for skintones. :)
CC: BLESS THIS MUTHAFUCKIN SUBMISSION
Because I see the bullshit reblogs and the wack ass explanations and I’m not even going to bother because those whiteness-upholding assholes can stay pressed.
As you can see in the photo, illumination is expressed AND THE SHADOWS ON KORRA’S FACE PORTRAY HER UNILLUMINATED SKIN COLOR.
WHICH IS BROWN
Light makes skin lighter.
You bitches must live on the fucking Sun.
This would be more correct if there were spots on her cheeks that were really light/orangey/yellow/red to reflect the flame, but based on the way it was originally colored, this is as correct as it’s gonna get.
Oh my god, you guys did not just recolor this person’s art. That’s so rude.
From the stand point of this POC, there was nothing wrong with the original art. Nothing.
… Jesus Christ man did they really recolor someone else’s art without their permission??? And no I’m not a “whiteness-upholding asshole” but that’s the most disrespectful thing you can ever do to an artist no matter what. This isn’t even about race or anything but showing off like “HERE THIS IS HOW IT’S SUPPOSED TO LOOK” and shoop over that person’s art when they’re not asking for crit is just as bad as slapping them in the face. I’m not for white washing at all, but I’m definitely against artists shooping up another person’s art because it’s “not correct”.
Ew… ew ew ew ew why is this even happening. I can’t believe how angry I am about this when I was trying to be so patient.
Forget the whole situation. You can think whatever you want about my supposed “whitewashing”. It was never my job to tell you what to think. I only care that you just recolored something I spent hours on. This has got to be the most offensive thing anyone’s ever done to me.
Her hands were supposed to be IN the fire… now she looks like she’s wearing like… fire handcuffs or something… and the hair… just… why…
im so sorry this happened to you :c
jesus christ how awful are people going to be over this!
This is a new low for you.
Congratulations. You deserve a trophy for the occasion.
It’s a penis.
This is a perfect example of the well intentioned looking like assholes.
Artist, I’m sorry this happened to you. The linework is lovely. I just wish I could see the original coloring so I could judge for myself re: the original coloring of Korra’s skin.
Next time someone wants to correct an artist, fucking ASK.
*facepalm* First of all what is this hair? lmao. Anyway as a black person(cuz that totally matters here lol) There was nothing wrong with the original picture,
I can still gather that Korra is brown but I dunno I guess being in that close of proximity of flames and the lighting involved therein equals whitewashing now mentally noted. Smh, like I in no way support whitewashing, but this is going to far, fight fire with fire bro(no pun intended) and make a picture of your own with something you deem the right lighting then, don’t go fucking around with someone else’s shit, even if you think it’s wrong. My 2c
Fucking hell. Just fucking hell. If I were to meet the recolorer in person I’d probably punch him/her in the throat. And that’s from someone who’s not the artist. If someone did that to my art without asking, I’d probably go for a full KO.
1. Don’t do a paint over unless the original artist oks it. It’s just fucking rude to go ahead on your own and draw over something. Even teachers in college ask before drawing over something.
2a. The lighting in the original (which countessnoir helpfully linked to) is a far, far more correct way to light a character, regardless of skin tone. Extremely bright light next to a person’s skin will cause the skin to take on the color of the light, whatever it may be. Photons bounce around and cause light to reflect and change, especially when there’s an intense source.
2b. The reason this may not apply in the animated scenes of the clips from the show is because animation requires a lot of individual drawings, complete with color. It’s easier to apply the general skin tone of Korra to the skin areas even while fire is present, then to do a complicated bit of lighting on the character. I know this wasn’t really brought up, but I think the person who did the overall doesn’t understand how light works, so they think the animation’s lighting is how all artwork of the character should look.
3. Just because the skin tone got lighter due to the fire, doesn’t mean it’s “whitewashing”. I’m directing this directly at the recolorer, because based on that single comment (I’m not bothering to look at his/her blog because I have better things to do like watch chemistry videos, work on my own artwork, and/or masturbate, plus I have no problem making broad assumptions about a person’s character over a single post they make on the internet, it’s just more fun that way) apparently s/he things “lighter is whiter and whiter is racist-er because white people are all part of the same homogenized racist collective”. That, and they made the post in the most ass way possible. I mean the phrase “you bitches must all live in the sun” is just mean. So, quite honestly, fuck you.
Using “whitewashing” principles with the original artwork would be like if I saw a white character in a cave/basement/somewhere dark and they had darker skin because of the lighting, and used something like “blackwashing” because the white character appeared darker than originally supposed to. But I wouldn’t do that because that’d be fucking stupid.
- bitka-goyke reblogged this from iceyfrog
- renaika likes this
- isakain reblogged this from theslowestdrawfag and added:
- kawajen likes this
- roseampora reblogged this from foxyscorpion
- foxyscorpion reblogged this from torpedoestotalcrap and added:
- thumbsy likes this
- nabashio reblogged this from koolaid-girl and added:
- nabashio likes this
- missmutton likes this
- waltdisneyismyhero likes this
- cuddlefeyrac reblogged this from hyruling and added:
- jwmidnight reblogged this from thetcwashere and added:
- pkotetsu likes this
- jadiil reblogged this from torpedoestotalcrap and added:
- torpedoestotalcrap reblogged this from jadiil and added:
- coolyb likes this
- garekikun likes this
- boridesu likes this
- touyas reblogged this from jadiil
- lionessjenna likes this
- mishas-dunkinronpas reblogged this from pigeony and added:
- therewillbenoshame likes this
- kawaikunaii reblogged this from fiztheancient
- dothewindythong reblogged this from ikhnyrocks and added:
- ikhnyrocks reblogged this from eisuverse
- deecantseestraight likes this
- theoddlittleartist likes this
- toxicnotebook reblogged this from annethecatdetective and added:
- extrapulpy reblogged this from missveryvery and added:
- goldeentail reblogged this from supersheps
- waxraven reblogged this from adriofthedead
- turianhumanbaby likes this
- badwasabi reblogged this from setosnicegirl and added:
- digitalmeowmix likes this
- yuumegari likes this
- sachan33 reblogged this from d-woo and added:
- setosnicegirl reblogged this from badwasabi and added:
- the-dead-kid likes this
- clowder-l likes this
- ponkita likes this
- usefulwolf likes this
- robocandi likes this
- mintofhint reblogged this from inertia-raptor
- superbusinessland reblogged this from batsbonesbirds and added:
- inertia-raptor reblogged this from kai-face
- kai-face reblogged this from wherethingsbreakdown and added:
- wherethingsbreakdown reblogged this from asideofladies and added:
- sourfruitbat likes this